NSW Invasive species management review
- Media release - Have your say on how to better manage pests and weeds (3 October 2023)
The NSW Premier has requested the Commission to review the priority risks and impacts of invasive species in NSW, including the effectiveness of current management strategies.
This will help to inform the NSW Government of key opportunities to better manage invasive species, supported by the best available evidence.
Pests and weeds cause over $25 billion in damage to agriculture and biodiversity each year nationally, of which NSW bears a large proportion. Over 70 percent of NSW’s threatened species and endangered ecological communities are also impacted by invasive species.
Terms of Reference
We will advise the Minister for Agriculture and the Minister for Environment of strategic opportunities to improve the management of invasive species in NSW across all land tenures for environmental, economic, social and cultural benefits.
In developing our advice, we will:
- quantify the current extent and impacts of invasive species on NSW industry, environment, and communities
- identify future risks posed to NSW industry, environment, and communities by invasive species, including any which are driven by climate change impacts and impacts from natural disasters
- consider existing programs and how they could better contribute to improved invasive species management outcomes in the future
- audit implementation of state and regional invasive species management plans
- provide advice to the Independent Biosecurity Commission on areas of further investigation regarding potential barriers to effective invasive species management.
We have received a range of public submissions which will be considered as part of the review. Public submissions closed on 31 October 2023.
We are also consulting with targeted stakeholders and working with Dr. Marion Healy, interim NSW Biosecurity Commissioner, in delivering the review.
If you would like to contact us about the review or provide further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The report will be delivered to the NSW Government in May 2024.
The report, including key findings and recommendations, will be made available on our website within a reasonable time after it has been provided to the Government.
Outputs from review
The review team has commissioned a number of supporting investigations to inform the 2023 invasive species management review. This list will be updated throughout the review
- Report - Interjurisdictional analysis (March 2023)
In 2016, we conducted a review of pest animal management and in 2014 a review of weed management in NSW. Both these reports and the Government's response are available from the following webpages:
We will be updating this webpage as the review progresses. If you would like to receive updates regarding this work, you can sign up to our mailing list.